Flt No. TN8903
Location: Dodge City,
Weather: 4000 Overcast, Visibility 3mi, Winds Calm
Circle To Land
Depart DDC on RWY 14. Turn left and proceed direct to DDC VOR, then
direct GCK VOR. Climb to 6000 feet.
APPROACH: VOR/DME RWY 35
(circle to land on RWY 12)
The instructions below are based on using the
procedure turn rather than the DME ARC to get established on the approach. You may fly the ARC if you wish.
1. When 10 DME East of GCK VOR, descend to 4800 feet.
2. At 5 miles East of the GCK VOR, slow to
3. At 1.5 miles East, turn left to Hdg 164
and join the GCK 164 radial outbound.
4. Proceed outbound till passing 5 DME, then turn right to Hdg 209
for 1 minute after wings roll level.
5. Then turn left to Hdg 029, and lower
flaps to 1/4, and slow.
6. Set your VOR NAV radio to 344, and turn inbound when your needle
starts to move.
established inbound on the 344, lower flaps to 1/2, and start your descent to
the FAF (GCK 4.0 DME) start your descent
to MDA for a circling app.
9. Plan to be at MDA (3360) at .08 DME, level at 3360’, and fly down runway
passing the end of the runway, turn left to Hdg 300, and lower landing gear
abeam RWY 12. WATCH YOUR SPEED
11. Continue past the end of rwy 12, Hdg
300, for about 15 seconds, then turn left to line-up with RWY 12. Flaps
to 3/4 when half way around, and to full when landing is assured.
gear comes down abeam the end of runway 12, when you start to circle for
landing. (2) Do not fly any further from the airport than the
current visibility. (3) An outside view may help in keeping the
This procedure can be tricky.
It is used in real life, when the tailwind component exceeds that of the
aircraft for the approach being used. You must pay close attention to
your Airspeed; Altitude, and Distance from the runway > lest ye Stall; get
sucked back into the clouds, or stray beyond sight of the runway.